A little bit of a wander

Well, I wandered again. Not far, St Botolph's, Heene, in Worthing, but it was a booking. An event nowadays.

Sung eucharist, an anthem (Goss O Saviour of the World) and some music before and after The choir was as good as ever, the sermon a bit "miserable sinner", intincted wafers, and the pipe organ ciphering on middle E on the Great, which rendered that manual unusable. So I played the hymns and voluntaries on the electronic. That had tenor E flat not working at all on the pedals, so I chose pieces which were in C major and E major (slightly modal E, leading note flattened every time it occurred in the pedal). The main thing is that, after such a long break from having to be responsible for leading the music in a service other than St Mary's Kemptown, the feelings I had of slight panic have returned after a good couple of decades absence. Probably all to the good, keeps me on my toes, and all that sort of thing.

After lunch I decided I would like to go to choral evensong, so I looked up Chichester Cathedral's website and found they were doing Howells Coll Reg setting and his Like as the Hart. Definitely worth a trip. I drove over, paid to park opposite the Country Record Office, got to the cathedral and saw an odd sign on the west doors: "Cathedral closed 3.15, private service". So I found a verger (a lot easier than in some cathedrals) and was informed that the boys has caught covid and the sung part of the service had been cancelled early this morning. Oh well, I hope the boys will be ok, but I resent the petrol, such is the ludicrous situation about supply in Worthing.

I can understand how the lone boy left standing said he couldn't do Coll Reg alone...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too long

Wombling free

Schney, Bavaria and North End, Portsmouth