Wandering prohibited

I see that I haven't posted here for some while. Mostly laziness, I'm afraid, but a side order of moving home and this wretched virus has meant that some things have been put to one side.

Moving home: I put the flat on the market in July 2019. Got an offer within three days and found somewhere to live. It turned out that the offer was from someone who couldn't afford it, and the place I found had a structural problem caused by next door trying to dissolve the garage (don't ask).

Next, back on the market, and found a place (this time in a town I wanted to live in, not Littlehampton), and got another buyer. By November it was revealed that the buyer was a fantasist and I had to withdraw my offer on the place in Portslade.


Generic bungalow of the same sort. Home sweet home!
Come December I got another buyer (dear God!) but the over £5000 service charge for fireproofing, redecorating common ways and replacing the garage roofs became due, and so I was £5000 down. Look for something a little cheaper. Found it (but it was dearer) and it was leasehold, which I particularly didn't want. Oscillated whether or not I wanted it, thought that some of the design "features" (skylights in both bedrooms, and not over the kitchen area? Bizarre) would be terminally annoying and decided on property #4, a boringly standard 60s bungalow but which was much more solidly built than the place in LA. (That had been a brick skin over a wooden frame, and stud walls throughout.)

Back in November, I had also decided to partially retire from the office job, and set the date for March. I would do all sorts, I'd be able to have a long weekend away seeing friends, ooh, all sorts. I could have some fun!

Well, The March date turned out to be a) the week the lock-down started and b) the moving day, which was the last permitted by the government. I'd still be in the flat were it not for that little piece of luck.

Having moved, and having now sorted out the CDs and some of the books which the removal men shuffled, put things away in a different-shaped kitchen, found room for the clock to stand, and found that a living room 2 feet narrower than the last means that the hi-fi unit is now too big, sorting myself out has been interesting. Since my office job is counted as key, I am still turning up 3 days a week, but the trips to visit friends have been postponed. When they happen they should be all the sweeter.

But the main result is that I can now play the organ without having to use headphones, and I don't annoy the neighbours. The main purpose of the move had been achieved; even if I now can't play the organ on real instruments in real churches.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too long

Wombling free

Schney, Bavaria and North End, Portsmouth