Wandering organist gated

Since January this year, I have been titular organist at St Botolph's church, Heene, in Worthing, so my wanderings have been reduced somewhat.

My monthly wander to Holy Spirit, Southsea continues, and on the Sunday after Easter (known as "Low" Sunday, probably because of the number in the congregation is low) wandered with Cantores Vagantes to Salisbury Cathedral, one of England's gems. A "Father" Willis, built in 1876 and rebuilt with minimal change in 1934.

Taking choir practice every week is a tie, but can be very rewarding. Today, I managed to overcome the missing pedal note (booked for repair in a week) and played a piece before the service on the extra organ, an electronic by Eminent. Widor's 5th Symphony, the 4th movement, a quiet one for strings and a solo 4' flute which can't be played on the pipe organ (no 4' flute). On this site, scroll down the page til you see 4 Adagio. It's the most gorgeous miniature and should be better known, especially when you consider its next-door neighbour (so to speak).

We also got the first look at our Priest-in-Charge "elect", Rev Peter Kane, who came to the service and chatted with many after the service over the coffee and biscuits. He's a music graduate and an ARCO (one up on me).It always makes me more nervous when I know there's someone "out there" who knows what I'm doing wrong. And I am so lucky to play for a congregation who are so appreciative of the voluntary. A pity the sermon today didn't get applause. Fr Roger was interesting, and had more than the obligatory joke near the beginning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too long

Wombling free

Schney, Bavaria and North End, Portsmouth