Unexpected

A few weeks back the Churchwardens of St Botolph's, Heene, slightly twisted my arm and I agreed to take over as Organist & Choirmaster from next January, carrying on with the 2nd & 4th Sundays I had already agreed to do, with choir practices before those Sundays. Last night I turned up, having been told that the PCC would be meeting the previous Tuesday to confirm my appointment, and that they would tell the choir. I had also said that a 6-month trial period - for both parties - would be sensible.

Bless them, they've only gone and appointed me from 1st October, whilst letting me carry on with the other churches who have already booked me. This flummoxed me a little, and I didn't get off to the best start with the choir practice. Very kind, but perhaps asking me? I am not complaining, just expressing the flummoxisation.


Their website is this one: http://stbotolphsheene2015.com/ and beware of imitations. There are at least two other sites which purport to be the church's site. A problem from times (and personnel) past, I understand.

They have two organs, one real (NPOR record with a picture of the very uninspired case), the other electronic (though with a very different specification)bought to help with concerts with other instruments, as the pipe organ is sharp, and oboists hated us. Lipping up (I understand this is the terminology) by nearly a semitone in the summer is not fun for them. The electronic can also be tuned up to the pitch of the pipe organ.

So I have a Christmass carol service to put together, and a concert series to think about, both with no budget. Perhaps by next year I shall be able to play again, DV?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too long

Wombling free

Schney, Bavaria and North End, Portsmouth