Slightly off the normal topic - times three

Yesterday was a sad day - the funeral of John S Smith, past President of the Organ Club and long-standing secretary of my local Organists' Association, Brighton & Hove. A fount of information on matters organic who will be missed. A true old-fashioned gentleman.

It was also sad as I said goodbye to the last remaining part of my graduation present from my parents, the Dual 505 turntable (which was connected to a NAD3020 and Acoustic Research AR18s). It just stopped working. Bearing in mind it was 35 years old and was one of the old-fashioned sort that had an extra lead to connect to the amp, and that it had been quite well used before the advent of CDs, I actually had to put my hands over my ears as it went into the skip at the local tip.

And lastly, I got so fed up with not being able to find music I wanted to hear from my CD collection, I indexed them all. It was started by not being able to find the Holst St Paul's Suite which, even when they were finally put into composer order, refused to surface. I found it at last in the section I had mentally named "Orchestral Oddments", where there was a selection of pieces, none of which seemed of more importance than the others, a bit like an organ recital, really. The Holst was in with the Albinoni Adagio, Peter Warlock's Capriol Suite, the ubiquitous Pachelbel Canon and Grieg's Holberg Suite. Definitely not one work there more outstanding than the others. And yes, dear reader, I did play the CD once found.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too long

Wombling free

Schney, Bavaria and North End, Portsmouth