Time to scratch?

Some weekends, there's time to be leisurely, do some practice, read a little, cook something. Others just turn into mayhem.

But even in the mayhem, there can be little oases. Yesterday was one such. As I rushed round and tried to get everything done the day before yesterday, I looked forward to an afternoon where I could just chat about organs and everything or nothing with one of my oldest friends.

And so it turned out. From about 4pm yesterday til he had to depart to play for the Marian devotion which was replacing Evening Prayer (Mothering Sunday), we talked organs, I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, the editing of the organ part by the previous organist to play Blow in F (coming up at Low Sunday on the new Harrison organ in St Edmundsbury Cathedral) from that particular copy and, ooh, all sorts. It seemed longer than a couple of hours, and made me so grateful that I could stop for a while.

One of the things I was asked to do over the weekend was to transpose the Irish National Anthem out of B flat, as another friend finds flat keys difficult and it was requested for a sing-song on 17th March coming. I didn't realise what weird words it has - everyone in Ireland is apparently a soldier, fighting (presumably the British). Although less belligerent than the Marseillaise, I can't say I warmed to it. My friend commented that F major is a dull key. But F major is anything but dull, in unequal temperament. Here's a page where you can listen to some demos. I keep my home electronic in Kirnberger 3, but not the French Romantic voicing. I do have some taste!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too long

Wombling free

Schney, Bavaria and North End, Portsmouth